Book Review: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) - Mindy Kaling

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) isn't really a biography or a memoir; instead, it's a collection of short essays, photos, lists, and life advice. These chapters are written in no discernible order and bounce from one topic to another. You find out about her childhood, and that time she weighed herself in the supply closet. You find out about her plans to create an all-female remake of Ghostbusters. You hear about why she was the best babysitter ever, and that time she worked for a TV psychic. And, of course, you learn about her journey to becoming a writer for The Office. It felt a lot like sitting down at Starbucks and chatting about anything and everything with a new friend - which just further solidifies my belief that Mindy and I should really be best friends.

While I wouldn't say that this book was hilarious, the first half of this book continuously made me smile and had me holding onto every word. After Mindy talked about her experience at The Office and started sharing pictures from her Blackberry, though, it started to go downhill. It seemed as though she had run out of material - which was a shame, given how much I enjoyed earlier essays like "Best Friend Rights and Responsibilities."

Overall, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) was a light, fluffy, fairly entertaining read that mostly lived up to my expectations.