Destroy Me

Destroy Me - Tahereh Mafi

Destroy Me is told entirely from Warner's perspective, meaning that the excessively flowery prose and the endless strikethroughs that contributed to my lack of enjoyment of Shatter Me were thankfully not present. Instead, Warner's thoughts are clear, methodical, and organized - a contrast that is even more striking once Juliette's diary is found.

Mafi easily explains Warner's actions as a result of his upbringing. While his father's actions had made him hardened against the world, he does, in fact, have a heart. Throughout Shatter Me, I found myself wondering if instalove was the only reason for Warner's fascination with Juliette; in Destroy Me, this obsession only deepens as Warner learns just how much he truly understands Juliette. And while I was never on a "team" before, since I didn't particularly care for Adam or Juliette, I'm inclined to admit that Warner might just be better suited for her after all.

The highlight of this e-novella, though, was definitely Warner's tentative friendship of sorts with Delalieu. Born over coffee and inadvertent gratitude, it was a surprisingly adorable (and entirely unexpected) relationship.

Overall, Destroy Me was a pleasantly surprising read. I enjoyed getting a glimpse into Warner's thoughts (even if most of them were focused on his obsession with Juliette), and may just have to give the rest of the series a try.