She Said/She Saw

She Said/She Saw - Norah McClintock The dual POVs in She Said/She Saw are represented in quite an interesting manner. Kelley's narration is presented in the form of a screenplay, and Tegan's narration is presented in the typical novel format. These alternating perspectives also create a more complete picture of the crime and its effects on the community, and also paint Tegan as an unreliable narrator.

Tegan and Kelly weren't the easiest characters to like. I sympathized with their situations, but the way that they treated one another was awful. I understand that siblings don't always get along - after all, I do have a younger brother - but they were just so self-absorbed and that I wanted to reach into the book and force them to help each other.

The mystery aspect of the story was fairly disappointing. There were very few viable suspects since all of the supporting characters were rather one-dimensional and had no motives. Granted that also meant that I didn't piece together who the killer was until the very end, when the characters sat down and pieced together what they saw and knew to determine the reasons why Tegan's friends were murdered, but the lack of suspicious characters dramatically decreased the amount of suspense present in the story.

Overall, She Said/She Saw was merely an okay read. It had the potential to be an interesting story, but ultimately fell flat due to a combination of unlikeable characters and a lack of suspense.

This review can also be found at The In-Between Place.