Adorkable

Adorkable - Sarra Manning After reading the first page, containing the Adorkable Manifesto, I was hooked. Jeane is a girl after my own heart: a quirky, argumentative, obsessive tweeter/blogger with unique fashion choices found at jumble sales (though I wouldn’t say I go quite as far as she does). Her snark and wit kept me in stitches throughout the book and had me repeatedly saying “she and I are practically the same person, listen to this” in response to all of the questioning looks I received due to my laughter. Michael Lee is one of the most genuinely likeable book boys: friendly, willing to go out of his way to help others (even if they don’t deserve it), and empathetic. These characters certainly aren’t perfect – they have their flaws, and undergo tremendous development throughout the story. And they speak like actual teenagers, endearing Briticisms and all.

The romance was perfectly handled. There was no instalove; Jeane and Michael actually start out hating each other and as their characters grow and develop, their relationship does as well. The believability is definitely helped by the fact that the story is told from both Michael and Jeane’s point of view, so we get a good look at the relationship from both sides. The sex scenes are awkward and imperfect, yet refreshingly real.

Also, can I just say how happy I am that there was no huge reveal that Jeane was actually secretly beautiful despite thinking of herself as dorky and weird? Jeane is short and has a few wobbly bits, but she is okay with that AND it doesn’t affect her sex life. (Other YA writers, please take note; the “secretly beautiful” trope makes me mad because we should love our bodies instead of having it shoved down our throats that we have to look a certain way to be considered attractive).

Overall, Adorkable is a very fun read that is about so much more than the perfect, popular boy and the “weird” girl falling for each other; it’s a celebration of our differences that underlines the importance of being ourselves.

This review can also be found at The In-Between Place.