Throne of Glass 2

Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas Crown of Midnight is the perfect example of how a second book should be written. It (thankfully) doesn't fall victim to the dreaded "second book syndrome," and manages to be even better than its predecessor, [b:Throne of Glass|7896527|Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)|Sarah J. Maas|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1335819760s/7896527.jpg|11138426].

In my review for Throne of Glass I mentioned that there were some aspects that could use improvement, namely that there should be more scenes showing Celeana as a kickass assassin. This issue was certainly addressed in Crown of Midnight. While Celeana does fawn over gorgeous dresses and read a lot of books, we also get to see more of her darker side -- and it is certainly a sight to behold. Celeana isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and her dresses stained with blood, and by the end of the book you certainly understand why she's a force to be reckoned with.

As with Throne of Glass the two leading men in Crown of Midnight continued to steal (and, at times, break) my heart. Unlike Throne of Glass there isn't too much of a love triangle here; while both Dorian and Chaol have feelings for Celeana, she makes a choice and sticks with it. Of course, despite sweet pillow talk and a lovely broom cupboard scene, this relationship is not without complications, and I can't wait to see where Maas takes it next.

The plot of the novel is a whirlwind from start to finish: between magic, political intrigue, death, and unexpected twists and turns, Crown of Midnight is incredibly difficult to put down. While I had guessed one of the major reveals early on, it still caused me to feel ALL the emotions - and that, my friends, is the mark of an excellent book.

Overall, Crown of Midnight is a captivating, emotional ride that will leave you breathless and wanting more. I'm so excited to see where the series will go from here!

This review can also be found at The In-Between Place.