Pretty Dark Nothing

Pretty Dark Nothing - Heather L. Reid Pretty Dark Nothing has a promising start. From the first page Quinn’s struggles to stay awake and the demons that plague her nightmares are vividly depicted, setting the stage for a dark, quick-paced read filled with exciting action. Unfortunately, cliched high school and relationship drama quickly overshadow the more interesting paranormal aspects, leaving readers with a story that is nothing like what the synopsis had promised.

For a good 90% of the book, we’re treated to Quinn pining over her ex-boyfriend, flip-flopping between feelings for her ex and feelings for Aaron, dealing with catty cheerleaders, and doing nothing about the demons except for occasionally saying “no” or “go away.” Since it’s a dual POV story, we also get to see Aaron pining over Quinn for the majority of the book, though he does at least use his psychic abilities a few times.

I didn’t find myself connecting with any of the characters which made this a very tedious read. All of the characters came across as extremely one-dimensional and the supporting characters’ roles were reduced to acting as plot devices or comic relief. There was no character development either, which is unfortunate because Quinn really needed to grow a backbone and a less annoying personality.

The plot finally started to pick up again in the last 10% of the book, but by then I couldn’t bring myself to care about what happened next. The ending was composed of a lot of paranormal elements that seemed to come out of nowhere and serve as a last-minute infodump; had they been incorporated into the rest of the storyline, it would have been less abrupt and confusing. There were so many unanswered questions that I imagine will be addressed in the sequel, though I doubt that I’ll be giving it a try.

This review can also be found at The In-Between Place. I received an advanced copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.