Asylum

Asylum - Madeleine Roux

The synopsis for Asylum promised me a creepy, thrilling novel that is similar to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which I adored. Unfortunately, it failed to deliver on all fronts.

Asylum's biggest downfall was the inclusion of black and white photographs. This worked exceptionally well for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children since Ransom Riggs found the pictures and built the story around them, allowing him to expertly weave the images and the plot together. In Asylum, the opposite is true; the images were clearly staged to complement the story, and felt neither creepy or authentic. My imagination came up with much creepier images based on the text alone, which either tells you that I've been watching way too many horror movies or that the photographs were pretty unnecessary.

The characters in this book were unlikeable and inconsistent. Despite being uncomfortable in social situations, Dan quickly befriends Abby and Jordan. They become inseparable, and all share constant mood swings throughout the book. And, of course, these aren't given any explanation. I was so sure it was possession and willing to somewhat excuse their behaviour, but apparently they're just annoying protagonists. Within the group, Dan and Abby have an awkward relationship, complete with Dan being incredibly jealous of anyone talking to her -- and that's after only knowing her for a few days. All of this, combined with the fact that Jordan's character seemed pretty irrelevant and unnecessary, made Asylum a rather tedious read.

The mystery of the abandoned asylum itself wasn't that bad. The creepy asylum, unexplained notes, and hallucinations made me curious enough to finish the book, though I was disappointed to see that I had correctly guessed how it was going to end. At the end there were so many unresolved plot threads and so many unanswered questions, making room for an unnecessary sequel that I likely won't be reading.

Overall, I expected a lot more from Asylum. If you're looking for a creepy, spine-tingling read, this is not it.