The Bunker Diary

The Bunker Diary - Kevin Brooks The Bunker Diary is a fast-paced, psychological thriller that is terrifying in its realistic portrayal of kidnapping. The protagonist, Linus, wakes up one morning in a bunker. He can’t remember much of how he got there, just that he was helping a man who he believed to be blind. As time progresses, five other people – of all ages, and from all walks of life – join him. No one knows why they’re there; all they know is that there’s no way out.

As the title suggests, the story is an account of Linus’ time in the bunker told through his diary entries. As the reader, we know everything that Linus wants us to know, sometimes causing us to wonder exactly how reliable his narration is. The style of the entries change over the course of the book: at the beginning, there are full entries complete with the date and, in some cases, the time; by the end, not even the name of the day is present. Linus himself is an incredible narrator. He’s strong yet humble, brave, determined, and really likeable. His relationships with some of the other prisoners are touching, and you’ll easily find yourself wanting him to succeed against this unknown enemy.

The Bunker Diary will play with your emotions, making you experience everything that the characters do. Most of all, though, it will terrify you; we never find out why these people were taken or what purpose their kidnapping served. It’s definitely a compelling and thought-provoking read that will stay with you for quite a while.

This review can also be found at The In-Between Place.