Desert Tales: A Wicked Lovely Novel

Desert Tales: A Wicked Lovely Novel - Melissa Marr

Considering it has been a few years since I last read the Wicked Lovely series, I was a little worried that I wouldn't remember enough details about the series to fully enjoy this companion novel. Thankfully, that wasn't the case; although this book occurs at about the same time as Radiant Shadows, events from the series that impacted this book were thoroughly explained preventing me from feeling lost or confused at any of those references.

While none of the events in this book directly impacted the series in any way, it was really interesting to see how the solitary fae live -- and just how different they are from the Court faeries. The solitary fae can be cruel, vicious and ruthless, and they reminded me a lot of a pack of wild animals given that they're ruled by an Alpha whose position is determined by strength. Of these faeries, my favourite was probably Shy, a fox faery whose manipulations were both clever and slightly heart-wrenching. Through these actions, we get to see just what it means for a faery to love a human, and just how difficult it is.

Donia and Keenan - the Winter Queen and Summer King, respectively - also make appearances in this novel. Seeing them through Rika's eyes completely solidified my love for Donia and my dislike for Keenan, and definitely reminded me just how much I need to re-read the Wicked Lovely series in the near future.

This review can also be found at The In-Between Place.