Untold

Untold - Sarah Rees Brennan

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

After the heartbreaking cliffhanger ending of Unspoken, I was expecting Untold to be filled with angst and torment, since Sarah Rees Brennan loves to torture her readers and all. Somehow, though, going into Untold with that mindset did nothing to alleviate the angst that was present throughout the entire book.

On one hand, Untold possessed many of the aspects that I loved about Unspoken. The writing was witty and engaging, and led to my e-copy of this book being filled with so many highlighter markings. The characters were quirky and loveable, and the addition of Ash and Holly's perspectives added an extra layer of character development - to the point where I absolutely love Ash as a character, and I really didn't think I'd be saying that after Unspoken.

Although I was captivated throughout Untold, in retrospect, the plot line was rather boring. There was a love triangle but, for once, my problem wasn't that it existed; it was really well-written, and I found myself kind of enjoying it. Instead, my issue was with how much precedence the romantic aspects of the story held. Instead of being centered around Kami learning to fight back against Rob Lynburn and his band of sorcerers, there was little action and a lot of romantic drama - to the point where I found myself wanting more: more magic, more about the Lynburns... more of anything that wasn't relationship-oriented, really.

Overall, Untold was not quite as strong as I was hoping it would be. The plot was not as compelling as that of Unspoken, however a combination of my immense love for all of the characters and that very cruel ending have left me eager to read Unmade when it is released later this year.