Will in Scarlet

Will in Scarlet - Matthew Cody I started this book with no real expectations, given that the only Robin Hood adaptation I was familiar with was the 2010 movie starring Russell Crowe. While it started out slowly, Will in Scarlet easily commanded my full attention, making it an enjoyable read.

The story is told from the perspective of a young boy named Will Scarlet and provides a fresh take on how the Merry Men began taking from the rich and giving to the poor. The characters were likeable and multifaceted, with the exception of the main villain who I could not sympathize with and came across as rather one-dimensional. While Will's character development is the most easily seen, given that the reader is seeing things from his perspective, it is Robin Hood who will surprise you the most.

Overall, this was a quick, fun read filled with action, humour, and well crafted characters. Will in Scarlet is more than just a Robin Hood story - it's an adventurous tale that underscores the importance of doing what's right even if it's hard, and shows us that even the most unexpected people can become heroes in their own right.

This review can also be found at The In-Between Place. I received an advanced copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.