What Really Happened in Peru (Bane Chronicles, The)

What Really Happened in Peru - Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan Magnus Bane is one of the more intriguing characters in the Mortal Instruments series, so I had high hopes for this novella. Unfortunately, while this is a fairly fun read, we don't really learn anything that The Mortal Instruments or The Infernal Devices series hadn't already told us. We don't even figure out why Magnus was banned from Peru in the first place.

For the most part, reading What Really Happened in Peru felt like reading a fanfiction story. The dialogue was awkward at times and the transitions between Clare and Brennan's writing was choppy and obvious.

The story is split into four different parts, chronicling Magnus' adventures in Peru. As a result, the transitions between these years caused the already short novella to feel rushed. Many details were quickly mentioned and then glossed over, leaving little room for the plot and the characters to develop.

Magnus' adventures and behaviour are amusing but not very informative. Instead of the complex character that I had grown to love, Magnus was reduced to a glorified party boy with an attitude to rival Jace in The Mortal Instruments. I enjoyed his witty banter and the way that he acted when he was drunk, but I was disappointed by the way that his moments of bitterness and wisdom were glossed over in favour of his absurd antics.

The deeper, serious moments were few and far between, but they were easily my favourite parts of this novella. We were provided with a new idea regarding the existence of warlocks: rather than existing because of a demon's deception, they exist because they were loved.

"We live forever by the grace of human love, which rocked children in their cradles and did not despair and did not turn away."

These moments also allow for a bit of insight into Magnus' past - with his parents and the people he had loved - as well as his views on time, love, and immortality. One particular musing about what it means to love a mortal stood out, despite having been presented in slightly different terms in The Mortal Instruments series.

"To Magnus, time was like rain, glittering as it fell, changing the world, but something that could also be taken for granted. Until you loved a mortal. Then time became gold in a miser's hands, every bright year counted out carefully, infinitely precious, and each one slipping through your fingers."

If What Really Happened in Peru consisted of more of these serious moments, it would have made for a much more satisfying read. As it was, the novella was fun but forgettable, so hopefully the next installment will be better.

This review can also be found at The In-Between Place.